Thursday, December 4, 2008

Vintage Holiday

I love looking at vintage Christmas decorations and ornaments. Here are few I hope will bring back some wonderful memories for all of you.

Sap Buckets


Christmas records

Baubles

Mantel Décor

Candy Tins
And if you are from Toronto (or any other major city), you will remember windows such as this one (Eaton’s Department Store; Toronto 1964). I look at this picture remembering and feeling still to some degree, the anticipation of seeing the drapes over all the department store windows – knowing the wonder that lay behind them - peeking in to catch a glimpse of what was to be revealed.
And following the Santa Claus parade the windows were revealed, like seeing the original Mona Lisa – you were in awe. I would stand there in the cold, feet buried under inches of snow – and wonder how it was done. How did all those elves, toy soldiers and kids move within the display playing, trimming trees and making toys? How was this done?
I never got bored of those windows and would beg to see them several times through out the holidays. Thinking back I realize it’s time to take my daughter downtown and show her one of the wonders of a child’s Christmas world.

No comments: