Saturday, June 14, 2008

An updated twist on a classic


I love the uniqueness of some of the silhouette artwork coming out right now. Bold color and different shapes are leading the way to a modern twist on a rather "stuffy" design that not everyone can work into their home décor. Take a look at these ideas - I think they can work in any decorating theme be it traditional, contemporary or modern.

The first is a trio of stylish images individually printed on canvas with pigment ink. The canvas measures, 8.5" x 11" and fits a mat or frame opening of 8" x 10." So it's easy to find a frame for them - smart. Each of the prints will be signed so they have that element of authenticity. The vibrancy of these prints is what makes them so amazing. I am considering buying the trio - just not sure where I would hang them yet. You can buy them on Etsy (a favorite site of mine - but that's another posting).


Pottery Barn has some nice flatware silhouettes. The silhouette is a cutout, so your wall color shows through - I like this idea. But like most Pottery Barn things, they are expensive....and I think they would be easy to make at home with a cutlery shaped stencil, cutting knife and canvas. I have a large blank wall in my kitchen - maybe I will see just how easy it is to make these. I will post the pictures if it works!


There are alot of websites out there that will do custom silhouettes. You send them your picture and then presto...you have a custom silhouette. Karl Johnson's silhouettes shown here are really soft and pretty - I like the change from a basic black silhouette to a color. Obviously his client was a dog lover. The concept of collections rather then portrait silhouettes is unique. And using colors that work with your décor is very original.

With all the cool wall decals available now - this would be an easy at home project. You can buy a decal in black or any color and adhere it on a canvas board either white or painted, and there you go - a modern twist on a silhouette!

Now, I can't decide what to do with that blank wall in the kitchen?

No comments: